Perspectives and Intention
I assist a lot at Landmark Education. This particular day, I was supporting the leader who was leading the session for the next two days. This leader is a very senior leader and had asked me for specific food requirements . He had asked me to give him juice every hour , salads for lunch, and asked me to give me peanuts at 3 pm.
At 3 pm , I asked one of the other male assisting person , to go and get the peanuts. He went and came back with masala peanuts. :( Now , the leader hadnt mentioned what kind of peanuts he wanted, but looking at his other food requirements , I was almost sure that he wanted plain roasted peanuts. I discussed this with the guy who had gone and gave him a piece of my mind about not asking me before buying the peanuts. This guy kept defending himself and said, 'Give and see- it might be ok ' . Much against my prudence, I gave the leader a bowl of masala peanuts.
Within 5 mins, the leader calls me aside and says - 'I cannot have this, since this is bad for my health'.
Damn ! I thought !
But instead and going out and getting the roasted peanuts immediately, I thought I would go in the next break.
After half an hour , when I went out, I saw the leader eating off the whole bowl of masala peanuts. He called me to his side and told me - Veena , see , if you dont get me what I want, I will end up eating this junk food -and this is not good for my health. I felt ashamed of myself for procrastinating bringing the roasted peanuts and immediately went out to get what the leader wanted.
Five minutes after I came back, the assisting guy who had got me the masala peanuts , called me aside. With a twinkle in his eyes and mischievous smile, he tells me - 'You said na, that the masala peanuts are not good for the leaders health - you were wrong - the leader has eaten off the whole bowl of it ! :) ' For a moment I was too stunned to speak.
I then saw so very clearly how the same action can look so different or give a different perspective to two people who are in the same circumstance. The action of the leader which had made me feel ashamed , had made this guy feel mischievously happy.
After all, its not what you do , but the intention behind the action that is important. It is not what you interpret but the perspective with which you interpret that gives meaning to the situation.
3 comments:
Very thoughtful post, Veena. I have to say that in your particular case, it was the leader's opinion that mattered the most. It is this almost intangible quality to know the needs of a guest even before he expresses them himself that very few people have. I have seen it especially in our mothers and grandmothers, the women of olden times, who knew how to serve, how to anticipate every wish of the people they served. We have lost it somewhat.
I have had similar experiences as your assistant who got the masala peanuts, where I did all I could and I thought I was doing great but actually was doing everything wrong. And I wasn't even perceptive enough to realize it. anything was amiss.
Well V cant please all..I dont try hard. Just do my best...v learn better that way...
@Shruti, @Satya,
True that it is impossible to know what the other person actually wants all the time. But the point of the post is to be "aware" that each person has a different perspective or a different intention when he interprets something or does something. This awareness makes life easier for all of us.
Post a Comment