Tuesday, February 2, 2010

J K Rowling - Fringe Benefits of Failure

J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencement from Harvard Magazine on Vimeo.

Well, most of the times, we have a very weak relationship with failure. For most of us, we want to do things right - so that we win and succeed. But then what fun is that ? Where is the opportunity for growth when you do what you already know and succeed at that ? What we dont realise is that with each failure you have, you have a huge opportunity for growth and learning. Each failure, enables us to take new steps, new decisions and takes your life in a completely new direction.

Here's hoping that you enjoyed the speech.

Well, I was left speechless with this ! :)

3 comments:

Shruti,  February 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

I haven't heard the speech yet but I had heard snippets of it (I think 1-2 years ago when she gave it) on National Public Radio and I loved it. It is true that she has passed through very tough times in her own life. That is almost a prerequisite of a good writer - without experiencing intense emotions, you cannot write such well-rounded incredible books. The authority of experience is evident in her books.

Nilu,  February 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Hi Veena,

I had seen this video on TED.com earlier.

I agree with Shruti that for being a writer you need to have undergone strong emotions in your own life as is evident from Rowling's books.

I was really impressed with her speech. The words and expressions she has used are really potent. When she talks about poverty and failure, you can feel her pathos.

I loved the part where she says that life has a humbling effect on everyone - your qualifications or wealth don't matter after a certain time. Also, the knowledge of strength of a bond which has stood the test of adversities is more precious than any amount of wealth or success! I can certainly identify with that.

Nilu

Veena,  February 9, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

@Shruti, Yes, I also think, the best of your literary work, comes when you are experiencing intense emotions ( If you are going through an emotion, and someone gave you a pen, you would have penned a masterpiece :)) Try it out :)

@Neel,

>> your qualifications or wealth don't matter after a certain time. Also, the knowledge of strength of a bond which has stood the test of adversities is more precious than any amount of wealth or success!

Those lines caught my eye too..

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP