My bird journey...


Beautiful, tiny and very active the Green Warblers. I would love to see the yellow breast of these birds. I was( notice the “was” :- ) ) not a bird watcher or a bird lover for that matter. But then spotting birds of this size – in my very own garden - that was very fascinating! There after I would wait on my balcony to watch these birds. After endless and countless hours of waiting, I realized that these birds are visible most either early morning, or around eleven. Also I realized I don’t have to wait to spot these birds. These birds are very vocal – so if I keep my ears open – I would hear their chirps whenever they were around – and then I could rush to the balcony to spot them.
As I would wait on the warblers, I started noticing the 'Bulbuls'. These birds are generally spotted in pairs. Loved to see their orange cheeks and orange tail ends and was fascinated to see their spiked horn on their head.

Just today, I got to see these - Purple Rumped Sunbirds. Shiny blue green head, yellow breast and less than 3 inches. Wow !

And there are times when I get to see the tiny kingfishers. Beautiful small and shiny blue. Something like this -

On a lucky day, you will get see the regular parrots too.. :)
But the icing on the cake came a week back when I spotted a cuckoo perched happily on one of the top most branches of the mango tree - can you believe that ! It had rained out of season that morning - and in Bangalore, everytime it rains the cuckoos come out. No matter where you are in Bangalore, you will get to hear a cuckoo cooing during rains. Coming back to the cuckoo that I saw at such a close quarter - I noticed that the bird has deep red eyes.. Unbelievable ! Beautiful !

Friends - I know for sure, my quest for birds and their sounds has started .
Now whereever I go I look out for birds and try to find out more about it. And must tell you - Bangalore is a bliss for these birds. !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note : All the pictures on this site are from various sites on the web. Some of these sites are
http://www.indiamike.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/23157/size/big
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1829&Bird_Image_ID=42417&Bird_Family_ID&p=5
http://www.birdsisaw.com/Photo.aspx?q=5179
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Bangalore
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21815205@N00/154228243/in/set-72057594137182184/
2 comments:
Beautiful birds, Veena. If you take any good pictures do post them. I am glad you went to the extra step of finding out what each of them were. I saw a bird in Louisiana when I went to work on the oil spill. It was beautiful and I was determined to come home and search it out on the internet. I never did it and now I don't even remember what it looked like.
I try to take their pics.. But the distance from my second floor balcony to the bush below is too much. Also it is quite a thing to do bird photography - needs loads and loads of patience.. the birds are never still and keep hopping from one branch to another .. and keep hiding in the bushes.
Post a Comment