Sunday, December 29, 2013

The yellow dress


“Is this yellow dress for sale?”

I hear the anxious voice of a lady behind me. I turn back to see a middle aged, slightly plump, short lady in a faded purple cotton saree and a red blouse craning inside the small doorway of a 12 by 6 feet tailor shop I am in. She is a little dark, but her face looks friendly and lively. She has long hair that is plaited and she is wearing a big red bindi. Her clothes and the way she carries herself, show that she is from a lower middle class family.

There is mixed emotions on her face as she holds the bright yellow dress hung on the mannequin of the tailor shop.

“How much will this cost? “

The tailor shop I am in, also sells few dresses.  The lady is asking about one of the dresses on sale. “2500 Rs,” says the lady inside the tailor shop.

“Ok!” the lady replies with a smile.

The cost of the dress does not take the smile off her face.

“I haven’t got the full cash - can you keep the dress aside if I give you a token amount?” she says. Almost in a plea. I can see she is worried that the dress will be sold out. 

It is obvious that she loves the dress and is imagining her daughter (or was it her daughter in law) in that dress. I can see that she likes the image that is forming in her mind. 

But there is a hesitation too. She is trying to restrain her excitement. Perhaps she is thinking, What if her daughter did not like the gift?

“I can always exchange the dress if I bring it back within three days, right?” Her voice breaks my trail of thoughts.

I smile.

“Can I see the other choices too?” she says.

She eyes brightens as she sees the bright red, pale green, voilet variations of the dress. She picks each one of them and admires them. I can see she loves all of them and is suddenly confused. She brushes her thoughts aside, smiles at the lady in the shop and says,

“Ok. Please keep the yellow dress aside. I will pay the full amount and take the dress tomorrow.”

She pays the token amount and rushes back home.

"Mothers!" I think with a smile and get back to looking at the catalogue on the tailor's desk.

2 comments:

Swapna Kolhatkar,  February 9, 2019 at 2:27 PM  

How true ! Very nicely recollected. Indeed mothers brain is a think tank. - swapna kolhatkar deshpande

Swapna Kolhatkar,  February 9, 2019 at 2:27 PM  

How true ! Very nicely recollected. Indeed mothers brain is a think tank. - swapna kolhatkar deshpande

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP